Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ma Parvati’s Trial

Parvati practiced prenacne in order to wed Lord Shiva, who appeared before her and blessed her with His darshan. Lord Shiva agreed to marry Parvati and then disappeared. Just then, she heard the scream of child who was caught by a crocodile in a lake at some distance. As she listened to with attention, she could make out that the child was crying pathetically, “Help me… I have no one... Help…!” Parvati was deeply moved by the wailing of he child. She went there and found that a crocodile had caught hold of a child by its leg and was dragging it into the river.

The child was saying, “There is no one for me in this world. I have neither mother nor father, nor friend, nor anybody else. Help me!”

The crocodile replied, “It is preordained for me by destiny, to accept as food, whatever I get in the sixth part of the day, and Lord Brahma has sent this child to me in the sixth part of the day. So, why should I let it go?”

Parvati said, “O crocodile! Leave the child.”

The crocodile replied, “It is preordained for me by destiny, to accept as food, whatever I get in the sixth part of the day, and Lord Brahma has sent this child to me in the sixth part of the day. So, why should I let it go?”

Parvati said, “O crocodile! Free the child in exchange of anything you want.”

The crocodile said, “I will leave this child only if you give me the fruits of your penance which you have carried out to please Lord Shiva, and not otherwise.”

Parvati, said “Is that all you are asking for? I am ready to give you the fruits of penance carried out not only in this life but of those carried out in many other lives as well, but let go of this child.”

The crocodile said, “Think again, do not be so emotional.”

Parvati said, “I have thought about it.”

The crocodile made Parvati resolve to donate the fruits of her penance. No sooner was the crocodile blessed with the fruits of her penance, than its body shone with splendour. Leaving the child, the crocodile said, “Parvati! Look how beautiful my body has become by the power of your penance! I have become a mass of radiance. Why did you sacrifice the merits of your whole life for the sake of a small child?”

Parvati said, “O crocodile! I can practice penance again, but how could have such an innocent child come again, if you had devoured it?”

The child vanished even as Parvati looked on. The crocodile too disappeared. Parvati thought that she would have to practice penance again as she had donated all her merits. She had hardly sat down in meditaion when Lord Shiva appeared again and said, “Parvati! Why are you practicing penance now?” parvati said.’ “Lord! I have donated the fruits of my penance.”

Lord Shiva said, “Parvati! It was me in the form of the crocodile and the child. I played this lila to test whether you are empathetic or not. I am the one existence who appears in many forms. Even while abiding in many bodies, I am the incorporeal Atman who is distinct from all bodies. Blessed is your spirit of empathy to all living beings.

No comments: