Saturday, July 25, 2009

Ignorant Though Omniscient

One of the names of God, which appears in the 64th verse of ‘Vishnusahasranama’ is ‘Avijnata’, which means ‘Ignorant’. God dwells in all as their Real Self and is hence omniscient, However, He ignorant as well. How is it possible?”

While explaining this point the devotees say, ‘God is ignorant, that is He is blind towards the faults of devotees.’

I am not against this interpretation by the devotees; I appreciate it, but I would like a to add my elaboration as well – ‘God is ignorant, that is He doesn’t’ know how to harm His devotees, humans or any other living being. Just as a mother cannot harm her child , so also God cannot harm us.’

If God remains blind towards the faults of devotees, how will they get rid of their vices? How will they become faultless? God doesn’t know how to harm anybody. So, even if He punishes someone, it will be for one’s good only. Just as it is in the case of a mother, whether she slaps or feeds sweets to her child it is always for the good of the child alone.

Tease God at times saying, “Oh God! We may be ignorant but You too are ignorant in that You don’t know how to harm us. Say, do you have the power to harm us?” –In this way you can challenge God as well. God will have no answer to this challenge.

For example, a child challenges his mother, “Mother! You can never harm me. Try if you have the courage.” The Mother says ‘come here and I shall do it.” The child says, “Mother! Neverthless, you cannot harm me ever.” Mother says, “You naughty child! Just come here and I will show you.” She hold him by the ear and gives him a light slap and says, “Now, haven’t I taught you a lesson?” the child replies, “Yes Mother! I had become egoistic and your slap has only reformed me. You did no harm to me. Mother O Mother… God O God. Ha Ha Ha…!”

Similarly, God will do only that which is good for us. God cannot do anything inauspicious to anybody. Just as one cannot do harm to any organ of his body. Even if we amputate an organ through surgery that will not be with the intention of doing any harm. The Lord says;

‘He who knows Me as the Good Friend of al beings attains to peace.’

Once, Narayana Bapu (a fellow saint of Pujya Bapuji) was annoyed over a particular matter and I laughed at him heartily. He chided me while I continued to laugh. He asked me, “Why are you laughing?” I replied, “You are helpless.” He was a highly accomplished saint, with powers to become invisible and materialize his resolves. I was well aware of this. He lived with me in the Nala caves in Mount Abu. He was a Siddha but I challenged him and said, “You are helpless.” He stared at me. He knew that I was aware of his yogic powers. I said “You can never harm anybody.” Then he too started laughing. So at times, you too started laughing. So at times, you too challenge God and say, “oh God! You are simply ignorant and powerless when it comes to doing any harm to us.

‘No harm can ever be

Done to anyone by the holy men.’ (Sri Ramacharitamanasa, Sundera Kanda, 5.2)

‘When even your holy saints are incapable of inflicting any harm on us, how would it be possible for you to do so? You are the saint of saints. So O God! How can you do harm to us?’

No comments: